Elder Program

hero tribal bottom border

Our Elder Program is a social benefit program intended to promote the general welfare through home rehabilitation and grant assistance. Qualified elders, age 62 and up, can receive up to $8,000 in tax free assistance for home repairs, renovation and rehabilitation.

The program is intended to provide a social benefit through assistance designed to address and reverse life safety, health, and welfare issues of inadequate housing within the Comanche Nation, and to promote self-determination, culture and tradition by assisting Comanche elders to maintain residency within the Nation’s Jurisdictional Area.

The Jurisdictional Area consists of Caddo, Comanche, Cotton, Grady, Kiowa, Stephens and Tillman Counties in the state of Oklahoma.

INCOME NOTE:  As an Elder over the age of 62, you are exempt of any income requirement. 

If you are unsure if you qualify for this program, please contact our office for assistance.

Grant Funding

Our Elder Program is a grant providing a maximum of $8,000 in assistance for homes that are owner occupied. If more than one homeowner within the same household qualifies for assistance, the maximum expenditure per house is $8,000. Once the maximum amount is utilized on your home, you are no longer eligible for any other assistance from this program for two (2) years.  

Assistance is based on available funding. Our team cannot guarantee funding for the program will be available or that successful applicants will receive the maximum benefit under any category.

Grant Application

The CNHA Elder Program is a grant where applicable, providing a maximum of $8,000.00 in assistance for homes that are owner occupied.  Should more than one homeowner from the same household qualify for assistance, the maximum expenditure per house will be $8,000.00. Once an individual has utilized the maximum amount on their home, they will not be eligible for any other assistance from this program for a period of two (2) years.  

Program assistance is limited to funds available for participants as identified by allocated funds within the fiscal year.  The CNHA makes no guarantee that funds for the program will be available or that successful applicants will receive the maximum benefit under any category of assistance.   

The Elder Program Application (Age 62 & Over) includes form fields that can be used to enter your information electronically.  The application can then be printed and/or saved for your convenience.

Submit the completed application, signed Authorization for the Release of Information form, and the following documentation to the CNHA Office:

  • Copy of CDIB card
  • Proof of HOMEOWNERSHIP including legal description (i.e. deed, abstract of title etc.)
    NOTE: If a mortgage exists, the mortgage must be in the name of the Elder tribal member.
  • Proof of residency so that a determination may be made that the house to be repaired is OWNED by the Elder, in the Elder’s name (proof must be in the form of a utility bill in the Elder’s name, bearing the address of the residence.)
  • Proof of age

Covered Repairs

  1. Examples of available services include remedying water, sewage, sanitation service, major electrical, heating or cooling issues and gas leaks.

    Also, services shall include, but not be limited to, addressing home safety issues; hot water heater repair or replacement; sub-floor repair; flooring; foundation repair; roofs; broken interior/exterior doors, window repair/replacement, emergency home generators, kitchen/bathroom cabinets, drywall repair, siding repair/replacement and weatherization, Tree trimming or removal, where trees are endangering the integrity of a home’s foundation, roof, water or sewage lines are eligible services.
  2. Renovations to meet handicap accessibility and life safety improvements are eligible services and include: Handicap accessible bathrooms to include easy access showers, handicap railing at toilet and shower, handicap toilets, easy use plumbing fixtures and doorknobs, wider doorways, and handicap ramps.
  3. Appliance replacement or repair to enhance habitability of the home including, for example, home safety issues and the ability of an Elder to prepare and store meals safely within the home. The appliance installation, replacement or repairs are limited to generators, range, cooktops, hoods/vents, ovens, refrigerators, washers and dryers. Frequency of appliance replacement will be based on the typical life expectancy of the appliance and will be at the sole discretion of the Housing Authority. Appliances are intended for the benefit of the eligible Elder applicant. The Housing Authority may require the pick-up of the inoperable appliances before providing a replacement.


What areas are eligible to participate in the Elder Program?

The service area for the program include Caddo, Comanche, Cotton, Grady, Kiowa, Stephens and Tillman Counties in the state of Oklahoma.

Who takes care of the maintenance after the repairs were made with the help of the Elder Program?

The homeowner is responsible for all maintenance to the home once the warranty period (if any) ends. If repairs or rehabilitation services do not carry a product or service warranty, the responsibility for maintenance becomes the homeowners once the notice of completion is signed. A representative of the Housing Authority will meet with the homeowners in the home to go over any questions they might have concerning maintenance. Once an individual has utilized the maximum amount on their home, the applicant will not be eligible for any other assistance for that particular home for a period of two (2) years.

What can I do if I disagree with action taken under the Housing Authority’s Elder Program?

You may appeal action by the CNHA’s Elder Program in writing with all pertinent information, or request a hearing before the Executive Director who will render a final decision.

With the assistance of the Elder Program, how will I be advised that the work on my home has been completed?

You will select the contractor that you want to complete your work and submit the contractor’s quote to the Elder program representative for approval.

You will communicate directly with your contractor of choice to approve the work schedule and you will be requested to verify to the Elder program representative your acceptance and approval of the completed project.

What is covered by the Elder Program if I have to vacate my home while repair or rehabilitation work is being completed?

You will be notified by the Housing Authority office that you must vacate your home if:

  • It is scheduled for major repairs or rehabilitation requiring that all occupants vacate the home for safety reasons; or
  • If the repairs or rehabilitation would leave the occupants without heat, electricity or water during a period of extreme temperatures.

If you are required to vacate the premises for the duration of the construction, the Housing Authority may assist you on a case by case basis. The expense for relocation will be charged to the Elder Program.

With the assistance of the Elder Program, who will perform the repair/rehabilitation of the work to be done?

Qualified construction trade persons employed by this organization or qualified contractors will perform the repairs/rehabilitation to the home under the supervision provided by the Housing Authority.

Who in the Elder Program is responsible for identifying what work will be done on my home?

A CNHA representative and the applicant will work collectively to identify the work to be done on the home. The CNHA will be responsible for communication and coordination of material and services to be accomplished by the CNHA maintenance personnel or contractor.

With the Elder Program’s assistance, how long will I have to wait for the repairs to my house?

The length of time it takes to accomplish the work to be done on your dwelling is dependent on:

  • Availability of funds;
  • The type of work to be done;
  • The climate and seasonal conditions where the home is located;
  • The availability of the field service work force;
  • Your position on the approved waiting list.

Note: You should update your application yearly. You must meet eligibility at the time of assistance.

Who administers the CNHA Elder Program?

The CNHA Elder Program is administered by the Housing Management Department of the Comanche Nation Housing Authority under funding provided by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and defined under the Indian Housing Plan.

Are you eligible for Affordable Housing?

Check My Eligibility