Student Housing Program

hero tribal bottom border

Our Student Housing Program offers low-cost housing to full-time students attending one of the following institutions: Cameron University, Platt College or Great Plains Technology Center. We have eight one-bedroom apartments reserved specifically for this program. Preference is given to enrolled Comanche Tribal Members.

Program Application

To confirm your eligibility, you must complete the application and provide the following documents

  • Verification of full-time student status in the form of a letter or notification directly from the school to the CNHA
  • Birth certificates for all family members in the household
  • Social security cards for all family members in the household
  • CDIB cards for all enrolled members in the household
  • Income Verification for all household members over the age of 18

You are required to list all residents in your home on the family admission form/record/application for continued occupancy. Any visitors who stay in your home for an extended period (more than 90 days) are subject to inclusion on the official record.  

If you have been convicted of a crime that would constitute an offense under appropriate federal, state or local statute, you will not be admitted to our student housing program. You will be required to undergo a background screening.

If you are eligible, you will be placed on a waiting list. To remain on the list, you are responsible for updating your application on an annual basis, which is done by completing a Statement of Continued Interest form and returning it to our office.

Monthly Rent & Deposit

Payments are due on the first day of the month without billing/prior notice. All payments can be made at our office, located at 1918 E Gore Blvd, Lawton, Okla. 73501. We accept cashier’s checks and money orders, in addition to an ACH (automated clearing house) debit, which may also be electronically set up to withdraw monthly rent payments from your bank account.

Monthly rent is calculated at 20% of the adjusted annual income and you are responsible for all utilities and deposits.

Continued Occupancy

If you meet the following requirements, you are eligible for continued occupancy in our student housing program:

  • Students who continue to meet the full-time requirement. Prior to the beginning of the student’s next semester or school term, they must provide proof that they have been accepted for the next semester or school term. The proof must be in the form of a letter or notification directly from the school to our office. The information will be verified by our team.
  • Students whose conduct does not prove detrimental to the other families in student housing.
  • Prompt payment of the “Tenant Rent” and appropriate utilities.
  • In compliance with all sections of the dwelling lease agreement.
  • No reports of loud parties or police reports regarding any type of disturbances.
  • If a student withdraws or is expelled from their school, they will have 30 days to move out of the unit.


Re-certification determines and adjusts the rent payment to be charged. You are required to recertify on an annual basis. The date for re-certification will be the anniversary of your move-in date (initial occupancy). After the annual re-certification process is complete, an adjustment in payment will be made effective the month immediately following the re-certification. You may voluntarily request a re-examination of income and/or re-certification if you feel that circumstances have affected your monthly-required payment. Reasons for interim re-certification are as follows:

  • Tenant loses job/income
  • Tenant retires
  • Tenant passes away and there is a loss of income
  • Tenant moves out and there is change of income and family composition
  • Tenant changes job or gets a big raise
  • Tenant has a baby
  • Tenant certified as unemployed get a job
  • Tenant experiences a substantial increase in allowances
  • Tenant turns 62

Maintenance Department

Our maintenance department consists of specialty crews created to ensure quality work through highly qualified and skilled personnel, including heat and air, electrical, plumbing, flooring, roofing, siding, framing, concrete finishing, remodeling, painting and fencing.

Programs supported by our maintenance department include:

  • Low Rent Maintenance – Maintaining safe, decent and adequate homes throughout our rental program. 
  • Elder Program – If you are 62 years of age or older, you qualify for emergency work to be performed on your home even if it’s not in our inventory. Click here for details on our Elder Program.

Unit Inspections

When you move in, you will conduct an initial inspection with our inspector/representative. Once completed, you are required to sign the inspection report detailing any deficiencies in the home. We will correct the deficiencies within a reasonable amount of time (30 days).

All units are required to be inspected on an annual basis. We will provide you with a written notification of the scheduled annual inspection at least 10 days prior to the date of the inspection. The inspection will include the interior and exterior of the unit/home. You will be required to sign the inspection report, containing the results of the inspection.

If the inspection reveals any deficiencies in the condition of the home, you will be given 30 days to correct the deficiencies and a follow-up inspection will be scheduled. 

Note: You are responsible for providing all maintenance and basic upkeep of the home, keeping it in acceptable conditions and free from trash, clutter and debris (including abandoned or junk cars. We will monitor the condition of the unit through periodic inspections and drive-bys. Cars must have a valid license plate, or it will be considered a junk car, requiring its removal from the property.

We will perform a follow-up inspection to determine if the deficiencies have been corrected. You will be notified and given the opportunity to be present at the inspection. If you have not corrected the deficiencies, we may terminate the lease agreement in accordance with the terms of the agreement or perform the necessary work and charge your account. You may receive a total of three unacceptable inspections before we result to terminating the lease agreement.


How long can a friend/visitor/relative stay at my house?

30 days.

If I was a previous tenant can I reapply?

Yes, five years after the date you left assuming you left in good standing.

Can I add another person to my household?

Yes. You need to notify CNHA of any changes to your family composition.

Are tenants responsible for repairs?

Tenants are responsible for all damages except normal wear and tear.

Can anyone apply for housing?

Yes, but CNHA has a Comanche tribal preference.

How often do I update to remain on the waiting list?

Periodically, but if you have changes such as income, family size, phone numbers, or address you need to report those changes immediately.

Does CNHA have preferences?

Yes. Comanche, Elderly, and people with families.

Can a single person apply for Housing?


Does CNHA have emergency housing?


Where are the CNHA units (houses) located?

Comanche, Caddo, Kiowa, Cotton, and Tillman counties.

How long is the Student Housing Program application waiting list?

There is not a specific time frame, due to availability of units.

How long is the application waiting list?

There is not a specific time frame, due to availability of units.

Are you eligible for Affordable Housing?

Check My Eligibility