Student Housing Program


Program Application | Monthly Rent and Deposit | Continued OccupancyRe-certification | Unit Inspections | Frequently Asked Questions | Return to Housing Management

studentThe Student Housing Program provides affordable housing to single persons or married Native families of low income full-time students attending one of the following institutions: Cameron University, Comanche Nation College, Platt College, or Great Plains Technology Center.  CNHA has eight 1-bedroom and four 2 bedroom apartments dedicated to student housing.  Preference given to enrolled Comanche Tribal Members.


Program Application

Download a Student Housing application in Adobe PDF format.  Applications can also be obtained from the CNHA office.


Participants must complete the application and provide the following documentation to establish eligibility:

  • Verification of full-time student status in the form of a letter or notification directly from the school to the CNHA
  • Birth certificates for all family members in the household
  • Social security cards for all family members in the household
  • CDIB cards for all enrolled members in the household
  • Income Verification for all household members over the age of 18

The applicant is required to list all occupants of the home on the family's admission form/record/application for continued occupancy.  Any visitors who remain for an extended period (more than 90 days) are subject to inclusion on the family's official record.  

Students who have been convicted of a crime which would constitute an offense under appropriate federal, state or local statute will not be admitted to the CNHA Student Family Housing program.  All student applicants will undergo a background screening.

Eligible applicants will be placed on a waiting list.  In order to remain on the waiting list it is the responsibility of the applicant to update their application on an annual basis.  This is done by completing a Statement of Continued Interest form and returning it to the CNHA office.

<< Top of Page


Monthly Rent and Deposit

All tenant payments are due on the first day of the month without billing/prior notice, in accordance with CNHA's Collection Policy.  All payments are to be made at the CNHA office located at 402 SE F Avenue, Lawton, Ok 73501, cashiers check and money orders are acceptable means of payment.  An ACH (automated clearing house) debit may also be established to electronically withdraw monthly rent payments from your bank account.

Monthly rent is calculated at 20% of the adjusted annual income and families are responsible for all utilities and deposits.

Families are also required to register family pets and pay a $75 non-refundable pet deposit.  An application must be submitted and approved for all cats, dogs and birds living on CNHA property.  Click here to learn more about the rules and restrictions that apply to pet ownership.

<< Top of Page


Continued Occupancy

Participants who meet the following requirements are eligible for continued occupancy in the Student Housing program:

  • Students who continue to meet the full time student requirement.  Prior to the beginning of the student's next semester or school term, he/she must provide proof that they have been accepted for next said semester or school term.  This proof must be in the form of a letter or notification directly from the school to the CNHA.  This information will be verified by CNHA.
  • Students whose conduct does not prove detrimental to the other families in student housing.
  • Prompt payment of the "Tenant Rent" and appropriate utilities.
  • In compliance with all sections of the dwelling lease agreement.
  • No reports of loud parties or police reports regarding any  type of disturbances.
  • If a student withdraws or is expelled from their school, they will have 30 days to move out of the unit.

<< Top of Page



The purpose of the re-certification is to determine and adjust, if required, the rent payment to be charged.  Tenants are required to recertify on an annual basis.  The date for re-certification will be the anniversary of the family's move -in date (initial occupancy).  After the annual re-certification process is complete, an adjustment in payment amount will be made effective the month immediately following the re-certification.  The tenant may voluntarily request a re-examination of income and/or re-certification if he/she feels that circumstances have occurred which would affect the monthly-required payment.  Reasons for interim re-certification are as follows:

  • Tenant loses job/income
  • Tenant retires
  • Tenant passes away and there is a loss of income
  • Tenant moves out and there is change of income and family composition
  • Tenant changes job, gets big raise
  • Tenant family has a baby
  • Tenant certified as unemployed get a job
  • Tenant experiences a substantial increase in allowances
  • Tenant turns 62!!!

<< Top of Page


Unit Inspections

At the time of initial occupancy, a move-in inspection shall be conducted with the CNHA's inspector (representative) and the tenant.  At the conclusion of the initial inspection, the tenant shall sign an inspection report detailing any deficiencies in the home.  The CNHA shall correct the deficiencies within a reasonable amount of time (30 days).

All units are required to be inspected on an annual basis.  The CNHA shall provide the tenant with written notification of the scheduled annual inspection at least 10 days prior to the date of the inspection.  This inspection will include the interior and exterior of the unit/home.  The tenant shall sign the inspection report, which contains the results of the inspection.

If the inspection reveals any deficiencies in the condition of the home, the tenant shall be given 30 days to correct the deficiencies, at which time a follow-up inspection shall be scheduled. 

Note:  The tenants shall provide all maintenance and basic upkeep of the home, keeping it in acceptable conditions and free from trash, clutter, and debris (including abandoned or junk cars).  The CNHA shall monitor the condition of the unit through periodic inspections and drive-bys.  A car must have a valid license plate or it will be considered a junk car and the lessee will be required to remove it from the property.

The CNHA shall conduct a follow-up inspection to determine if the deficiencies have been corrected.  The tenant shall be notified and given the opportunity to be present at the inspection.  If the tenant has not corrected the deficiencies, the CNHA may terminate the lease agreement in accordance with the terms of the agreement, or perform the necessary work and charge the tenant's account.  A total of three unacceptable inspections will result in the termination of the lease agreement.

<< Top of Page


Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  How long is the application waiting list?
A:   There is not a specific time frame, due to availability of units.

Q:  Where are the CNHA units (houses) located?
A:   Comanche, Caddo, Kiowa, Cotton, and Tillman counties.

Q:  Does CNHA have emergency housing?
A:  No.

Q:  Can a single person apply?
A;  Yes.

Q:  Does CNHA have preferences?
A:  Yes.  Comanche, Elderly, and people with families.

Q:  I have no income at this time, can I still apply?
A:   Yes, but when your name comes up on the list you need to prove that you have income and fall within the income guidelines.

Q:  How often do I update to remain on the waiting list?
A:  Periodically, but if you have changes such as income, family size, phone numbers, or address you need to report those changes immediately.

Q:  Can anyone apply for housing?
A:  Yes, but CNHA has a Comanche tribal preference.

Q:  Does the tenant have to maintain income?
A:  No, but you need to call in so your rent can be adjusted if your income changes.

Q:  Are tenants responsible for repairs?
A:  Tenants are responsible for all damages except normal wear and tear.

Q:  Can I add another person to my household?
A:  Yes.  You need to notify CNHA of any changes to your family composition.

Q:  If I was a previous tenant can I reapply?
A:  Yes, five years after the date you left assuming you left in good standing.

Q:  How long can a friend/visitor/relative stay at my house?
A:  30 days.


<< Top of Page

<< Return to Housing Management

1918 E Gore Blvd • Lawton, OK 73501 • 580.357.4956 • 877.263.7042